Have you ever encountered an error stating “Amazon Echo Registration Failure” or have you ever got a message while registering “Alexa Error 10:2:12:3:1”? If so, read on this troubleshooting guide to know how to fix this error.
When you may get this Alexa error?
This registration failure error occurs especially when –
- You are about to run and execute Amazon Alexa Echo Setup process
- You are registering Amazon Alexa device which can be Echo Dot, Echo, Echo Show, Echo Tap or Echo Look.
You may also get this error in some other scenarios like –
- You have got the Echo device as a gift. It troubles when setting up and registering.
- You may see this error on Refurbished/Used Amazon Echo device.
- Echo device which you bought can display this error when registering or setting up the device.
- You may get this error in Alexa app after Echo reset.
- The device keeps responding to Echo registration error even when Alexa disconnects from Wi-Fi
Troubleshoot Amazon Echo Error 10:2:12:3:1 (for Gifted Echo devices)
Last festive season, Amazon Echo Dot recorded the highest sale and there are plenty of users who have problems registering this device.
Why does it happen?
Are you gifted with Amazon Echo device by your friend or family but forgot to check the box asking “Is it a gift?” If so, this is the reason you are getting this error on screen. Whenever you buy an Echo device, it is assigned/registered to Amazon account. If it is a gifted device, it is registered to your account. So, it is better to set it up with the same email id. If you use other email ids, you will see this error.
A solution for Alexa Echo Registration Failure Error
Now you can follow the solutions to fix Echo Alexa Registration error during a setup process.
- First off, ask the person who gifted the device to log on to their Amazon account and deregister the Echo device.
- After signing out from your family or friend’s account, you can reset the device.
- Register your Echo device on your Amazon account.
If you are planning to gift Echo device, be sure to check the box ‘it’s a gift’ in Amazon cart. If you forget to choose the checkbox ‘it’s a gift’ in any case, do it later. Simply update the ordered gift setting from your account.
Simply select “It’s a gift” option under Account > Orders > Select Product > Product Detail Page.
If a device is delivered and you forgot to check the option ‘it’s a gift’ in Amazon cart, you just have to deregister the device from your Amazon account.
What if the device is branded new?
Before considering the following scenario, be sure you have bought the device from the manufacturer. Also be sure that it is not a gift from a relative or friend. If your device is still getting 10:2:12:3:1 error, here’s the solution.
Consider these points before troubleshooting –
- Use same email ID for registration and Echo device setup, which you have used once when buying Echo from official Amazon site.
- Follow the basic troubleshooting steps, such as Echo device hard reset, Modern Restart, and fresh install Alexa app, as it works a lot of time.
- Sometimes, Amazon server goes down and it may cause this error mistakenly. So, try registering the Echo device after some time.
Steps to troubleshoot Amazon Echo –
- Once you set up the device on the app, type your IP address on the browser like http://192.168.0.1/.
- Now type the username and password of your router authenticated on a login page.
- Go to “Advanced” settings in logs on successful login.
Look for the error like [DoS Attack] Port Scan PROTO.
- Later on, go to Setup > WAN Setup under “Advanced” settings
- Select “Disable Port Scan and DoS protection” checkbox and click on “Apply” button.
- Finally, restart the modem/router and set up your Echo.
After doing this, you will not find any registration error. If you find Amazon server displaying a message like ‘Device is lost or stolen’, or Echo device is blocked, or it still shows up order status not delivered, you can return it back to the manufacturer.
Possible cause of Error 10:2:12:3:1
- Amazon server displays Echo device as undelivered
- Amazon server feels that you have lost or stolen Echo device
- When you get a defective device
Amazon Alexa Error 10:2:12:3:1 because of stolen or lost Alexa Device
The device quickly connects to Wi-Fi during setup of new Echo device. Later on, Echo setup process stops with the message “Alexa Registration Failure” or “Alexa registration error 10:2:12:3:1” and also “Can’t register echo device”.
Common causes of this error –
- Your Echo device is reported lost or stolen,
- You registered gifted Echo device with wrong Amazon ID
- If the device claims “undelivered” on Amazon account.